Here we are at the end! I have learned so much this semester and I hope I’ve become a better designer because of it. For my final portfolio, I knew I wanted to incorporate my brand name, Climbing Ivy Productions. I used Illustrator (wahoo! I know how to use Illustrator!) to create this gorgeous climbing ivy for my intro slide. After I was finished, it did look beautiful…but a little too beautiful. Since my audience is potential clients, I wanted to appeal to all sides of the spectrum–not just the flowery feminine. So I had to “kill my darlings” so to speak. I saved my pretty flowers for another time and created a more streamlined ivy symbol. Then I got to work choosing my projects and the order. I decided to use a gradient background with varied colors to match the projects. But every time I tried to upload it to slideshare, some of the background gradients wouldn’t show up. So after a little frustration, I went back to my powerpoint and changed all the slides to gradient green like the first page. After I did that, I decided I liked it better that way. Everything looked more simple and unified (unify the parts, amiright?) and the green actually showed up for the party. Not like pale pink and pale gray. They were party poopers.
I wanted my message to convey simplicity. I wanted my projects to shine so I did little else aside from a gradient, a title, and a small leaf icon to tie everything together.
I really like ivy.
Critique: I got some awesome feedback this week. I actually kind of love it when people nit-pick because I want perfection. Melanie suggested I make sure my link actually worked and fix the gradient on a few slides. For some reason, when I uploaded the pdf to slideshare, a few slides lost their background! Oh, technology.
Brother Stucki suggested I fix the alignment and tracking on one of my slides. He also reiterated the need for a live link and fixed gradients. He also suggested I use correct capitalization. I took all these suggestions, plus a few new ideas I had, and created my finished product: